Monday 3 July 2017

MA Week 75 – Submission Success!


Reflection on the past week, 3rd July 2017

I spent a good deal of time on Monday and Tuesday evenings trying to get the best possible images of my prints for submission to the “Movement” group Summer show at Left Bank. In the end I decided to submit unframed images of the prints as I couldn’t get good enough quality images of the framed versions with the limited kit and knowledge I have. Notwithstanding this, I learnt a lot and will be putting this into effect for future submissions. I also polished up the descriptions of my work.
 
One of my accepted prints!

Friday wasn’t a good day as I was laid low with a stomach bug and spent the day in bed. My mood brightened considerably when I checked my Curator Space account and found that the prints had been accepted! I was delighted, particularly so as they were based on an urban wandering which terminated not far from the venue. This is the first time my prints have been accepted and I very much hope it will be the shape of things to come.

After some consideration, I’ve decided to have a second go at the Royal Park etching (see this week 72 blogpost for details of the first go!). This has had me running into college on a lunchtime to get plates cut and grounds on and drawing the design on the plate on Wednesday evening. I manged to get into the print room for a long afternoon on Thursday and the plate bit pretty well. I’d made an effort to try to etch just into the ground rather than scratch the plate, which seemed to have worked. I also took a deep breath and left the plate in the mordant for a shorter time than normal. These two actions resulted in a finer line than I’ve previously achieved, which I rather like. I’ve also started an aquatint test plate as I’m intending to aquatint this new plate next week.
 
Royal Park v2
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment