Wednesday 2 March 2016

MA Week 20 - Heritage Show + Tell Presentation


Heritage Show + Tell Presentation - 1st March 2016 

Well, how DID I get here?
My submission for the University of Leeds's "Heritage Show + Tell" was accepted and I was pleased to be able to present my research and practice to their audience. The Heritage Show + Tell exists to showcase aspects of heritage in Yorkshire, particularly research, learning and outreach. The idea is that you talk for three minutes with three slides. There are 5 or 6 speakers and afterwards everyone mingles and chats over wine and twiglets (yes, really). 

I spoke on the theme "How did I get here? Using heritage for creative practice". I explained the three strands of research by creative practice: 
  • Research through practice - producing visual outcomes. I mentioned my twin narratives of identity and industry and showed visual pieces relating to these. 
  • Research into practice - articulating the theory that underpins your practice. Here I mentioned Harrison's theory that heritage is based on people, places and objects, and how I have these three things: myself, my foremothers and forefathers; my place in Leeds and Yorkshire; and my manufactured industrial objects. Therefore my practice is underpinned by a theoretical perspective of heritage.  
  • Research for practice - I showed images of my generative wandering to Armley and talked through these. I went past my birthplace, "found" a mill which brought into play textile heritage, saw used and derelict factories, photographed the Armley gasometer and spent time considering the railway which brought power and prosperity to Leeds.
Third slide

On my third slide, I showed some of my responses to the wandering and invited people to chat to me afterwards.
 
I said most of what I wanted to say, but was hit by a technical hitch partway through the second slide. The animation of my 5 images started ok and 3 appeared, but the other 2 didn't. A bit of clicking backwards  and forwards brought up the full 5 images, but a similar problem beset the final slide. This threw me although I tried not to let it show. I essence I had broken my cardinal rule; never present without first running through the slides on the kit you're going to present on. I just hadn't been able to do that.  The Show + Tell was talking place in a new venue and the organisers were having problems even getting the presentations onto the kit. It was a "smart screen" so the control was through the "projector screen" on which the presentation was running, so there wasn't even a PC to get to, to take the animation off. A lesson learned - don't put animation into slides unless you know the venue you'll be presenting at!

The audience for this particular evening was a bit different to previous audiences. There were not so many students - there are often a lot of MA students from the University of Leeds - and more members of the public. I had a good chat afterwards with Elaine Evans, another of the presenters, who teaches Fashion at the University of Leeds. We were talking about the longevity of clothes from the 1960s and 1970s and the throwaway culture of today. I also talked to another lady from Leeds City Council who likes trains and architecture and she showed me some fab pictures of Budapest bus station that she'd taken recently - brutalism and yellow buses! She also said she thought my image would weave up into a nice teatowel. That gave us all a laugh.

This was a good experience for me. It moved me away from my work persona and placed me as an art student. Another presenter kindly videoed me on my phone and I have reflected on the event. It was a first step back on the way to public speaking and as such I think it was positive. I can learn not to put animation into my slides (which is something I always do, to try to keep audience interest). I would like to be able to present a poster or short paper next, so I need to keep any eye out for opportunities to do this. I really enjoy the Show + Tell. It's always a really interesting and entertaining night and I was glad to give something back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment