Tuesday 9 February 2016

MA Week 16 - reflection on the week


A bit of progress over the past 10 days or so. 

I put out in the rain a couple of the gasometer linocuts that I did. I ended up leaving them out for longer than expected and the result was a mix of colours in each one. The three-colour one gave some really vibrant colours, particularly a raised patch of bright rust-orange and some lovely mossy green. However, the colours faded as they dried and the pigment went very chalky in texture and started falling off the paper, presumably because the binder had washed away. But this did gave me the idea of decomposing your composition, and of the decay in industry (society?) in general. They have continued to decay, particularly the three colour one, which is interesting; I have no plans to stop them decaying, just like I couldn’t stop our industry decaying. 
 
Layering in progress
 
I also started piece on paper where I am experimenting with building up layers of different thicknesses using acrylic paint and collaged-in pieces of my printmaking. It is a developmental piece but it is generating ideas. It is also a chance to get to know the Liquitex acrylic paints a bit more. They give much more opaque coverage than the System 3 paints I’d used before so I am having to think more about how the colours appear when layered. I enjoyed doing the work and will finish it next weekend. 

I read some of a book called “Heritage : Critical Approaches” and this finally gave me (one of?) my critical perspectives. This was a good feeling and the academic validation of my approach has given me renewed confidence in my creative outputs. My definition of practice – my message – is becoming clearer through the theory of the “heritage” critical lens. It is emerging from my own lived experience but all of it also forms some part of the lived experience of another person or group of people.  More about this is in this post.

I took all this and more into my tutorial to try to work it through and to understand how I’m progressing. The message reflected back was to use this progress to allow me to select (and to justify the selection of) what tells my story. What images, visuals? What scale? Detail or overview? What kind of marks? What density. So I need to focus a bit more on exactly what I want to produce before Easter and I’ve re-planned for the rest of the term to try to give a time framework and allow prioritisation. 

What media will I use to tell my story? Within my initial proposal, and again emphasised within the work I did in Professional Context 1, I stated I would like to learn more about printmaking. I’ve experimented with this and am particularly interested in the marks I can make using etching. As part of my objectives for this module, I identified laser cutting as another technique of interest and have effectively used this to “draw” lines by cutting them. This idea of the “line” occurs frequently in my work and I need to think about how to develop etching and laser cutting techniques further to depict this. Acrylic is a medium I like and with which I am relatively comfortable from my previous course. By the submission deadline I would hope to have used the laser and etching in some way (separately or combined) to produce something coherent related to the heritage and identity themes.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment